14 October 2007

Can you believe they're going to let me teach?!


I know, I know, I said in my last post that I would be blogging more often. That was before I found out that I'm going to be the primary crochet instructor at the TACtile Arts Center. I was asked to design the course curricula and schedule. I've been spending my time writing both, and this is what I've come up with. So feel free to come down and take a few of my classes! And wish me luck; it's been a long time since I last taught anything. :)

Skill Refresher Workshop

Already know how to crochet but need help honing your skills? This is the class for you. We will cover how to read a pattern, the importance of gauge swatches, hook selection and material, fiber selection and substitution, and basic pattern modification. Please note: We will not be creating a specific project in this workshop; instead, we will be honing skills. Bring your favorite hook, a pattern you have been working with, and a skein of yarn. These materials will be available for you to borrow during the workshop.

Time: 1 hour session
Friday, November 2, 5:00-6:00PM
Friday, November 16, 5:00-6:00PM
Friday, December 7, 5:00-6:00PM
Enrollment Maximum: 8
Materials: Student provided - A hook, a pattern, a skein/ball of yarn. I will bring several spares for both demonstration and loan during the workshop.

Beginning Crochet

If you have never picked up a hook before, this is the class for you. We will cover the everything you need to know to get started: fiber and hook selection, tools needed, basic stitches, and simple edgings. By the end of class, you will have the beginnings of a sweet little scarflette - this season's hottest cold-weather accessory.

Time: 1 class, 3 hours with a 15-minute break
Saturday, November 3, 12:30-4:00PM
Enrollment Maximum: 4
Fiber/Notions: Instructor Provided, 2 oz.10-WPI/bulky-weight yarn, button ($5.00)
Materials: Size "J" and "K" aluminum hooks, darning needle, safety pin (I can provide for $6.00 material fee)

Intermediate Crochet

If you have some basic skills, but would like to build on your skills, this class is for you. We will cover increases, decreases, working in rounds, color changes, reading a pattern, and embellishments. By the end of class, you will have the beginnings of an earflap hat - the perfect thing to keep your noggin warm this winter.

Time: 2 classes, 2 hours each
Enrollment Maximum: 4
Sundays, November 4 & 11, 1:00-3:00PM
Fiber: Instructor Provided, 4 oz. 10-WPI/bulky-weight yarn ($7.00)
Materials: Size "J" hook, safety pin, stitch marker (I can provide for $5.00 material fee)

Advanced Crochet

If you've mastered hats and scarves and are ready to move up to more advanced projects, this is the class for you. We will cover textured, cluster, and lacework stitches, motifs, garment shaping, seaming, closures, and accents. By the end of class, you will have the beginnings of a lacy shrug - a fashionable, versatile layering garment that goes with just about everything.

Time: 2 classes, 2 hours each
Schedule TBD
Enrollment Maximum: 4
Fiber/Notions: Instructor Provided, 6 oz. 14-WPI/DK-weight yarn, button ($10)
Materials: Size "H" hook, safety pin, stitch markers, darning needle (I can provide for $5.00 material fee)

Specialty Classes

Ever looked through the local fiber classes and wished that cool knitting class was available for crocheters? Here are a few classes that will be coming soon:

Felted Bags
Felted Slippers
Crochet with Wire
Crochet with Beads

No comments: