22 May 2007

Eco-Friendly Trick #1: Plastic Bag Yarn


For my first trick, I will tell you how to make plastic bag yarn.

You will need:
* A measuring device of some sort (I like quilting rulers)
* A cutting device of some sort (a rotary cutter is my preference)
* A work surface of some sort (I prefer my sewing table with cutting mat on top)
* Lots of plastic bags (the standard grocery bag, known in the industry as a "t-shirt" bag, works great)
* A ton of patience

To make the yarn:
1) Flatten a bag as best as possible
2) Remove the bottom seam entirely
3) Cut the remainder of the bag into strips between 3/4" and 2" (1.9 and 5 cm)
4) Interlock the resulting loops to form a 2-ply-esque yarn

The resulting yarn will have a 2-ply look and boucle-like nubs at the joins. All that's left is to run it through a ball winder (or other ball-creating gizmo) and you're set to make an Earth-friendly shopping bag, coaster, hat, or whatever else suits your fancy.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I'd like to see a photo of one of those knitted items with plastic bags!

Good luck on getting your work published.