21 May 2007

Scrub-a-dub-dub Part Deux (Square Scrubbies)






I'll be honest: A part of me feels it is a waste of time to blog about these scrubbies. After all, they are, in essence, just small squares of single crochet. What is there to blog about that?

But I do have a few things to say. First, although I know that my round scrubbies work wonderfully and are an incredible improvement on the square scrubbie, Time Machine 2 on Etsy seems show that the square scrubbie is what sells. And so, I follow the market.

I still wanted to improve on the scrubbie, but again, there's not much to improve on a small square of cotton. I did go around the square in slip-stitch to give the shape some stability. I don't like unfinished edges, but I felt that a formal edging like crab or picot would either add to the bulk or just be impractical.

What was left was a small scrubbie, roughly 3x3" (larger than the majority of the scrubbies listed on Etsy) that is stabilized with slip-stitch top-stitching. They do work well; I had a woman ask me if they'd work as baby washcloths. Now that I have a newborn of my own, I can say that they work extremely well as a baby washcloth -just "scrubby" enough and not so big that it is impractical for use on the baby.

Lessons learned:
1) The market doesn't always follow ingenious design
2) There are ways to improve upon a simple design

No comments: