10 March 2007

Ghosts of Projects Past II - Head to Toe




My second Ghosts of Projects Past feature is dedicated to the presents I've made for the mamis in my life. Specifically, my Mami and my mother-in-law.

The first is a simple modified cloche I made for my mami just after Christmas 2004. She wanted a hat to go with the scarf I made for her from Trendsetter's lovely Sorbet line. I decided on Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride for the body of the hat, and used my scrap Sorbet to trim the hat. The cloche can be worn with the brim up or down. The hat came together relatively quickly, and I eventually fulled it lightly to give it a more solid feel.

The second is a pair of felted slippers I made for my mother-in-law on the drive home from Kansas in August 2005. This one actually took some trial and error. I used a Fiber Trends pattern as inspiration, but used a different yarn weight, a two-tone style, and a modified fastener. The fiber here is (once again) Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride. The first pair came out of the washer huge, even after three cycles. They would've fit a clown. The second pair came out perfect on the first cycle. I was incredibly pleased, and hopefully my mother-in-law is, too.

I haven't played around with felting for nearly two years now, but I hope to have another felted project in my portfolio soon. When I do, you'll see it here!

1 comment:

Carla Sonheim said...

I would like some felted slippers, and my feet probably are "clown-sized!"

Great to meet you yesterday!