19 March 2007

Hail Eeyore Full of Grace (The Earred Grace Hat)





About 10 days ago, I get an Etsy convo from a sweet Canadian asking if I can make an Eeyore-esque hat that she saw on Will and Grace. I figure I can definitely do that. I had never seen Will and Grace, nor did I really know what she meant by Eeyore hat, but I was certain it was something I can do.

A few days later, I had a link in my mailbox to a YouTube clip featuring bloopers from Will and Grace's 3d season. And there it was. It was nothing like I'd pictured it. It was a big crocheted hat featuring a blue scully with a white border (not a folding headband, but a simple white border) and two tiny ears attached to the top. It was adorable. After I saw it, I knew I could do it.

We hashed out fiber (superwash wool over cotton - good choice, I might add) and I set to work. She liked the original colors, which posted the first challenge. Superwash doesn't come in the same range of colors as regular wool, cotton, or cheap acrylic. But only superwash has the beauty of wool with the ease of care needed for a hat. I found a blue that as just slightly deeper and a pink just slightly brighter.

The hat took two tries. The first hat had ears that were too long. They were the perfect length for Eeyore, but not for Grace. I sent the image along anyway, just in case she decided she wanted it more Eeyore and less Grace. Once we decided we needed a Grace hat, I halved the size of the ears and put them closer to the top.

I have to confess that I love both hats. They both make me chuckle every time I see them. How can you not smile at an earred hat?!

Lessons learned:
1) Chunky yarn is wonderful to work with
2) Superwash should really come in more colors
3) Ears are hard to make
4) Ears are even harder to attach
5) Custom projects are so much more fun than any other project

So the Grace-Eeyore hat is (of course) reserved for the lovely Canadian, but the Eeyore-Grace hat will be up on Etsy for everyone to chuckle at in the very near future. I couldn't resist putting pictures up of the EG hat with ears in both positions because both are so cute!

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love the Eeyore hat, Angelina!!

Roselyn said...

would it be possible to get the pattern for this hat?

Angelina said...

Hi Roselyn! I believe you already contacted me, but the answer is YES! I'm working on it now, and it should be posted in about a week.

I also wanted to share a picture of the lovely Lisa modeling my hat (or rather, wearing the hat she rightly purchased!):
http://lisagaumond.com/2007/10/01/480/

Roselyn said...

angelina,
Could you send me a link to the Eeyore hat pattern. You sent me an email that you posted it however,
I can't seem to find it.

Thank you,
Roselyn

your sister said...

I know this was awhile ago, but If i could please get the pattern to the Eeyore hat or if someone could make it for me, please send me an email to rspberry4@aol.com thanks so much.