06 April 2007

Ghosts of Projects Past Part III - Hats and Scarves









A few years ago, there was a blowout sale at Showers of Flowers for Classic Elite Mohair. Naturally, I took advantage of this sale, despite the fact I had nothing planned for the gobs of mohair I was bringing home. This presented a dilemna later - what the hell was I going to do with 30 skeins of mohair.

I ended up making oodles of hats and scarves. Most of them were given away the moment they were completed, but as the weather got warmer, the demand got lower. This allowed me to experiment with some of my remaining skeins.

What resulted were two very different sets. The first I call the "Rasta Set", because of its primary color scheme. I decided on vertical instead of horizontal stripes for the scarf, and a very simple striping pattern for the hat. Not pictured are the wrist warmers I designed; these will likely end up as "freebies" to whomever decides to buy the Rasta Set.

The second set is a more feminine set. The cloche features a big grey flower with a white leaf, and the scarf is composed of granny squares. I'll be honest in saying that this is actually not one of the sets I like to claim ownership to; I feel like the white and grey granny squares give the scarf a "Holstein feel". Not that I dislike Holstein. Quite the opposite, actually. It's just that I don't think "cow" and "teal" go together. But c'est l'vie. With the predominantly teal color, this set will end up as a RAINNy Day item. So look good, feel good.

Lessons learned:
1) It's hard to remember lessons learned when the projects are over a year old.
2) White and grey granny squares look like cow print.
3) Mohair can be scratchy on sensitive skin.

These sets will likely be in my store by the end of the month. After all, it's always winter somewhere!

No comments: