04 April 2007

Scrub-a-dub-dub (Scrubbies!)




Okay, so I've been wanting to make scrubbies. You know, little cotton cloths that can be used for your face or body. Or pots or pans. Problem is that Etsy is flooded with them. It can be quite a challenge to compete when people are PIF'ing face scrubbies for "$0.20".

I needed to differentiate myself from the crowd, and I wondered how on earth I would do that. I thought of all the commercial scrubbies I'd ever bought, and realized they were thicker and round. All of the scrubbies on Etsy are single-layered and square. My eureka moment arrived: I knew how to be different.

So I set about making a face scrubbie with all the features I would want. Double layering to put up with my (possibly) over-aggressive scrubbing. A little loop to hang it up so it could dry without getting that nasty mildewy smell. And round. Because I like round.

My prototype whipped up quickly, if not slightly larger than I was anticipating. I was shooting for a 2 - 2.5" scrubbie, but by the time I joined the rounds and edged it in crab stitch, the scrubbie measured exactly 3" across. Oh well. More to grab to scrub with!

Lessons learned:
1) I missed cotton
2) Rounds are fun
3) Crab stitch is not fun when used as the joining stitch

The scrubbies are also the first product to feature the new light box Scott made for me. We still need to go out and get a white balance card, but the photos on these guys are a huge improvement over what I was putting up before.

Ah, the excitement! Look for these scrubbies wherever Kastroll Kreations are sold. :)

1 comment:

Jane Pierce aka zJayne said...

Found you on Etsy and came to take a look. I think this is a great idea and especially the little pocket ones for soap. I've hearted you and your item! Have a great December!