03 April 2007

Guess who just joined the ACEO craze?







I've been trying to think of a way to share my gorgeous silk paintings with more than one purchaser. After all, the ones that are in the prayer flags are designed to fray away as your prayers travel on the wind.

So I decided to create six limited edition ACEO runs of 10, yielding my 60 ACEOs. My ACEOs all feature my goddess works - mainly because I couldn't crop the animal or symbology lines into a 2.5 x 3.5" field.

The process of making an ACEO turned out to be more challenging than I thought. I knew that my PictureMate had the capability of producing great quality cards: the PictureMate ink features Epson Claria Hi-Def inks, and that I could load my printer with Premium Glossy Paper. You can't get too much better than that with a home print run.

Truly, the hardest thing of making the ACEOs was getting the cropping right. I had to hand-cut each ACEO from the photo paper. I then had to find a marker acceptable for signing/dating/numbering my ACEOs. I ran two of the 10 in each edition, and posted the Bleeding Heart Womyn and Center of the Universe ACEOs in my store tonight.

That was challenge number two. Yes, listing an ACEO was more challenging than making an ACEO. Etsy does square-centered cropping, so I had to use my original painting images to create my listings. As soon as I have my lightbox ready, I can photograph the actual ACEOs and add thos pictures to the listings, but for right now, I have pictures of the originals. Thankfully, there's no length limit on Etsy item descriptions!

Lessons Learned:
1) Always clean your printheads before doing high-end print runs
2) Paper cutters are heaven-sent
3) Not getting fingerprints on glossy paper is a pain in the booty
4) Plastic jewelry bags make great ACEO sleeves

So there you go... I now have ACEOs. So go get 'em before the run runs out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yep... We need to get that white balance figured out. I know that the light box is whiter than that... Oh well... Good job on the photos! Makes me want to buy your ACEOs!